Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Visit to the Bazaar & Stories from the ER


Jason finally found time to visit the bazaar. You can find all kinds of crazy things there -- from rugs and jewelry, to giant spiders and scorpions encased in plastic. Luckily for us, Jason didn't send us any area rugs, just the giant insects! The boys got a kick out of them, but I'm still creeped out and don't know where to put them!

Jase sounds good. I get to see him every day on the web cam, and talk to him on the phone every other day. He hasn't had a day off in 40 days! Here's some of his latest journal entry:

"The crew in the ER are a good group. Everyone is very diligent and works hard. We have been able to take care of everything that has come through the door, even the mini mass casualty two weekends ago. There are some people who make me laugh. Two of our techs are my favorites. They are very enthusiastic yet a bit on the slow side -- all at the same time. They are all military with high and tight hair and mustaches to boot. I can count on them to come and inform me on official information, like trauma coming in about 5 minutes after I have been officially informed. One of the sergeants has a knack for losing things, particularly important things like all the training records for the unit. He also comes by every night to let me know the coffee is ready even though I tell him every time that I don’t drink it. Very thoughtful nonetheless.

They other day we were examining a trauma patient and Sergeant B. was at the head of the bed. I asked him to hold c-spine so we could roll the patient and look at his back. It was his responsibility to count to three so that we could roll him simultaneously to maintain alignment of his spine. I said “Okay sergeant, on your count.” He gives me his professional look and barks out in his best drill sergeant voice,”On my three! Oone, Duu, Tree!!” I looked up at Dr Savage, our trauma surgeon, with a surprised look on my face. Did he really do that?? I said, “Sergeant, would you now please put the patient at parade rest?” That didn’t even phase him. I checked his back and then told him we were ready to roll him back. He barked it out the same way. We all were cracking up. I decided not to have that sergeant hold c-spine anymore after that.

No comments: