Friday, October 3, 2008

Jason's Adventures in Afghanistan



We've survived one month without Jason! We miss him so much, but love Skype-ing with him. He is doing well and we've all gained a new perspective on what really matters in life. He frequently sends journal articles. Here's one of my favorite entries:

After my shift tonight I went back to my dorm and changed into my ABU’s. There was another fallen comrade ceremony on the flight line. This time it was for 7 soldiers. Another touching ceremony. I looked over and in the front of the line were a handful of their buddies who had been wounded standing at attention in their hospital pajamas. They had been allowed to attend the ceremony. It was really moving to see them there. When we were commanded to present arms as the coffins came by I saw casted and bandaged arms being raised to salute. It was one of the most moving things I have ever seen.

We have had a rough month with casualties. None of these men made it to our facility so they must have died in the field or at a forward operating base hospital. The sergeant playing the bagpipes played “Abide with Me” and “Amazing Grace” again. I kept thinking of the lines “O thou who chang-est not abide with me” and “Thru cloud and sunshine, Lord abide with me.” I thought of their families and the sorrow they are going through. The first verse ends with, “Help of the helpless, Lord abide with me.”

As the back of the massive C17 was being filled with these 7 flag draped coffins I thought of how helpless their loved ones must be feeling while they wait days or weeks until the bodies finally arrive and can be laid to rest. I prayed that the Lord and his comforting spirit would abide with them. I will never forget some of these images.

2 comments:

kristenhcubed said...

Oh, wow. That's hard to read, I'm sure it was so hard to see. God bless our troops and their families.

jaredski said...

That's a sobering post. Sometimes we forget that there's still a war going on. Jason's hours sound worse than residency. How long is his tour? I hope we'll hear some happy or funny stories too, like he used to tell at lunch in med school.